Monday, June 6, 2011

Lake Baringo and Lake Bagoria


This was our accommodations - a tent with running water, a flush toilet, and a warm shower.

The African fish eagle, a beautiful bird that posed very nicely for this picture.


Goliath Heron


The sunrise from our tent!

I am sure you have all been impressed by my weekend adventures but I think this past weekend was my favorite. Nine of us from IU house took a trip to Lake Baringo and Bagoria and stayed at a placed called Island Camp. We had to take a 20 minute boat ride to the island and we stayed in these tents that had running water, toilets, and showers. Our tent over-looked Lake Baringo and I was able to sit up in my bed and watch the sunrise over the lake (did I mention they brought me hot chocolate in bed at 6 am for the sunrise).

Our time at the camp included all our meals, and the food was amazing. The first night I had tilapia which was caught in lake. The second night we had an all you can eat meat cookout with goat, lamb, chicken, beef, fish, and pork. I really enjoyed the food - just in case you couldn't tell.

We went on a boat ride around the island and saw crocodiles, hippos, lizards, and tons of amazing birds. We also took a boat ride to an island to watch the sunset and they provided us with drinks. It was acutally very romantic - the only thing missing was Ivan :)

On Sunday we drove about an hour to Lake Bagoria which is located in an extremely dry area. The lake is alkaline and does not support any animals except thousands of flamingos. The only problem at Bagoria was that it was extremely hot and it is the home of the hot springs and geysers. So I was sweating profusely as we walked around on top on the steaming soil and rocks.

Overall this was an awesome weekend. It was an amazing place, absolutely breath taking. The best part of the whole weekend was the people. The group we went with was awesome and we all had so much fun together.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You sound happy and I want someone to bring me hot chocolate in the morning!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete